OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2008

From:
Spencer Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 1 Sep 2008 01:43:22 +0000
Many people have replied to my woodpecker post and suggested that it was a juvenile red-headed woodpecker.  It very well might have been, but still the coloration did not match up with the internet photos or field guides.  The bird that I saw had a consistent light brown on its head, around its neck, and down the front of its chest.  These types of marks are more consistent with a red bellied woodpecker.  So the head and chest are typical of a red bellied and the back and tail are consistent with a red headed.  Do the species ever cross breed?

Spencer