OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2008

From:
Hans Clebsch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Hans Clebsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Aug 2008 20:35:06 -0400
Just wanted to reply to John Pogacnik's post on the difficulties of
birding Conneaut.

I was out last week with a couple of Amish fellows and a birder from
PA (Ross?). We enjoyed seeing a couple of American Avocets and 1
Marbled Godwit. (Nice to see peeps right after reading the latest ABA
magazine.) That is until a fellow drove his truck to the very end of
the sand bar (right in front of us and 2 scopes) and let out his
dogs. On this occasion they did not go after the birds. But on
various others they have.

This is clearly a place the locals and others including myself enjoy
the beach for recreational activities. There should be some way to
afford a certain level of protection, promote conservation and public
access (50/50). It astounds me how such a small place can have such
high quality birding. With a bit of protection in the far end of the
spit it could probably be much better. It would be nice to see a win/
win solution for all. (Is there some way to avoid conflict/bitterness
over restrictions?)

The locals use the area to do doughnuts in their trucks and cars.
Many times resulting in the following:

http://www.clebsch.com/bird/IMG_4905_2.jpg

I recommend you get there early and avoid weekends.

A group of us regularly Kiteboard there. We stay along the N end of
the beach and, as they tend to congregate on the south, avoid the
shorebirds.

Good birding.

Hans