OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2008

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Aug 2008 13:31:24 -0400
Among birders, listers are sometimes scorned as oblivious to higher
concerns, such as the biology of birds, preservation of habitats, etc.
All the same, even the most narrow-mindedly acquisitive lister must
learn some science along the way.
     The American Ornithologists' Union, which is pretty much
universally recognized as North America's authority on birds, offers
listers many opportunities to learn about these less selfish concerns.
Because the AOU maintains the lists listers use, they follow its
pronouncements, paying attention to the merest rumors among its
deliberations. Many listers, for example, keep "escrow lists" of taxa
seen that might someday be given full species status so they can add
them to their lists, and worry that other changes in taxonomic status
might require them to take former species off their lists.
     The AOU's Check-list Committee, which determines the North American
list, has a refreshingly open process. It is possible to learn a lot
about birds by consulting its proposals, where Committee members advance
cases for changes in the Check-list, and ask for votes. You can see a
list of what the Committee is considering by going to
http://www.aou.org/committees/nacc/proposals/pending.php3 ; once there,
click on the highlighted "PDF" to see many pages of detailed proposals
and recommendations, as well as bibliographies offering scientific
evidence. Here are some examples.
     We are all interested in the English names of birds, and there are
three relevant votes upcoming, involving the names of the sharp-tailed
sparrows (why shouldn't it be just "Nelson's Sparrow," rather than
"Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow"?), or certain species we share with
Britain even though our vernacular names differ, or the English name of
the rhinoceros auklet (would it be more accurate to call it the
"Rhinoceros Puffin"?).
     If you want to add new species to your N. American list while
sitting at home, the discussion of Passerculus sandwichensis, the
savannah sparrow, will get your attention. Sparrow expert Gerry Rising
here proposes it be split into four new species, three of which are
found in North America. And no, the "Ipswich" sparrow is not one of them...
      I recommend these proposal pages. They show how those decisions
are made, and share with the public the evidence mustered on their
behalf. They serve to give us confidence about the nature of changes
that might otherwise seem arbitrary or obscure. Listers should check
them out.
Bill Whan
Columbus