OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2008

Date:
Sun, 10 Aug 2008 22:38:36 -0400
Had to wait for today to post because I had to work yesterday.  Yesterday was the day for Juvi-s

Saturday I went to my favorite part of the Big Island Wetlands(close to where the black neck stilts were, but obstructed by RR :) )  I saw one of the adult eagles as well as a Juvi...as a matter of fact the adult was a little ticked that  was near it's favorite perch...it goes there every day.  It wanted to land there but I was under it.While there I saw the usual Indigo buntings and grasshopper sparrows,  I also saw a juvi spotted sandpiper.  But the best IMHO was coming within 5 feet of a Juvi GBH...I got pics: http://www.ohiobirds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2457#p2457.  It was up in the trees and I almost walked by it.

I went on into work over at East Liberty Honda later in the day and from where Iwas it looked like a Green Heron....but it wasn't it was a juvi Double Brested Cormorant.  pic in above link.  I also spotted my first Waxwings, about a dozen on an old snag.

While at work, I spotted what must be a Peregrine Falcon...but it seemed to big...I am not near a big enough body of water for an osprey but it could be one on the move...we have red tailed haws but this was no where near a red-tailed...to big for a Kestrel...and not the right time of the year for Northern Harriers (sorry no pics because of where it was I am not allowed to take pics..plus I was working and couldn't really stop to get out and take a pic.)  Here is my bird spotted at work map to show where I've spotted them and other birds of the year.  Here is a G-map of where I have seen everything.:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=111124962307056523138.000454252cbe886becf71&ll=40.321289,-83.566303&spn=0.060074,0.153809&t=h&z=13.

Like I said what a day for Juvi-s.

Steve