OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2008

Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 2008 14:41:44 EDT
This morning Al Lasala joined me and we cleaned and did maintenance on my
nest boxes at Dustin Road (Area L) of the Hoover Nature Preserve. I have 25 nest
 boxes at the Dustin Road location. Prothonotary Warblers nested in 11, which
is  1 more than I was aware of, and I identified 5 natural cavity nest sites
during  the nesting season, giving Dustin Road 16 total identified nest sites
in  2008. On the down side I had a first at nest box D-25. The first
Brown-headed Cowbird intrusion in one of the nest boxes. The nest box contained  5
unhatched Prothonotary Warbler eggs and 1 unhatched Brown-headed Cowbird egg.
The next closest box had a Prothonotary Warbler nest and it is possible that the
 warblers abandoned the first nest and started over.

Al got to witness first hand some of the surprises from cleaning the nest
boxes. One box contained a Little Brown Bat and several hosted Deer Mice, both
are secondary users after the nesting season. When I was removing the old
Prothonotary warbler nest from box D-9 the current resident Deer Mouse shot out
like it was fired from a cannon and more or less bounced off me like a ball in
a  handball court.

While cleaning the boxes we saw a Ruby-throated Humming Bird, Spotted
Sandpipers and Green Herons on the now beginning to emerge mudflats at Dustin  Road.
It was a quiet but productive morning.

Charlie Bombaci
Hoover Nature Preserve

Read reviews on AOL Autos.