OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2008

From:
Joe Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 2008 12:23:45 -0400
Fellow birding freaks,

     All this talk about shorebirds prompts me to pose a question about
birding in Washington state.  Thanks to Northwest and other airlines, this
is a contiguous (enough) state.  We will be doing the Westport pelagic trip
and will then bird all around the Olympic Peninsula and Victoria Island, and
then back to Seattle via Whidbey Island.  It is sort of the reverse of the
trip described in Cooper's A Birder's Guide to Planning North American Trips,
Chapter 15   Besides the obvious pelagic birds and the Skylark,  we are
hoping for a Sooty Grouse. If anyone has birded this area recently, any tips
would be appreciated, from where to bird to where to eat.

     In the past, I've noted that many Ohio birders enjoy sharing details of
their birding trips out of state.  It's a nice break between reports of what
someone did or didn't see, or what birds are, or are not there, or when or
when not to use a tape.  Or, you can respond off list.

     On a note related to this trip, I recall that Ernie Lymes did this
pelagic trip a few years back and reported that it cost him about $1000 for
one life bird.  I can't recall where this was reported.  If you can, I would
love to read it again.

     Hope to hear from a few of you.

Joe in the woods
Somerset, Perry County, Ohio