OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2008

From:
Jim McCormac <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim McCormac <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 2008 21:58:37 -0400
Hi all,

On September 27 & 28, the Black Swamp Bird Observatory and the Ohio
Ornithological Society are hosting the Lake Erie Raptor Symposium, based at
the beautiful Maumee Bay State Park lodge. This area is one of the Midwest's
premier hotspots for raptors migrating around the western end of Lake Erie,
and late September is peak season for numbers and diversity. To take
advantage, there will be field trips to some of the best raptor-watching
sites in the area.

We are exceptionally pleased to present keynote speaker Brian Wheeler,
author of the outstanding Wheeler guides to the Raptors of North America. If
you have seen one of these books, you know firsthand the exceptional quality
of Brian's photographs, many of which he'll share in his address entitled
Wings over America: My Favorite Raptors, My Favorite Raptor Spots. For those
of you who are OOS members, Mike Busam has an excellent review of both the
Eastern and Western Wheeler guides in the new Cerulean newsletter.

There will be several other excellent programs, including Steve Lauer
speaking on breeding raptors in the Oak Openings, Paul Cypher on hawk
migration around the western end of Lake Erie, and Mark Shieldcastle on
spring hawk migration at Magee Marsh.

If you get the Cerulean newsletter, which is now arriving in mail boxes, the
details and a registration form are included within. Or visit the OOS
website at:
http://www.ohiobirds.org/calendar/society_events/current/raptors/raptors.php

Hope to see you there!

Jim McCormac