OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2008

From:
Jeff Maass <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 2008 23:12:29 -0400
I noticed more than the usual number of birds at my feeders today North of Dublin OH. I'm
not sure the reason, but I had perhaps twice the volume of feathered beasts coming
through! I have two nyger feeders, two peanut feeders, tube and platform feeders with
mixed seeds (no millet or milo), and four hummingbird feeders.

Although I don't know the proper way to count, here's a list for an hour or so watching
through the picture window just after lunch:

Goldfinch (many, many)
Downy Woodpeckers (several)
Red-bellied Woodpeckers (at least 2)
White-breasted Nuthatches (several)
Chickadees (several)
Tufted Titmouse (several)
Blue Jays (many)
Red-winged Blackbird (1 male)
Ruby-throated Hummingbirds (several)
Northern Cardinals (several)
Robins (away from the feeders: VERY numerous this year!)
House Sparrows (several)
House Finches (several)
Chipping Sparrows (several)
White-throated sparrow
Some other "Generic Brown Birds"
Mourning Doves (several)
Red-shouldered Hawk

 I saw a male cardinal drive away a Blue Jay from the platform feeder, something I'd not
seen before. I saw an annoyed Hummingbird drive away a Goldfinch clinging to one of the
hummingbird feeders

In a given day, I expect to see all of these at the feeders (except perhaps the Hawk, who
hangs out in the back yard), but not in the numbers seen today. It was like Grand Central
Station all day, and more noisy then usual as well. (My local Hairy Woodpeckers were AWOL
today for some reason: maybe it was too busy for them?).

Jeff Maass

http://www.k8nd.com/LocalCritters.htm
http://www.k8nd.com/CuracaoCritters.htm