OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2008

From:
jen brumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
jen brumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Aug 2008 13:36:42 +0000
Greetings Birders -

These reports are from FRIDAY, Aug 15:

Sandy Ridge Reservation (Lorain Co.) was hopping, with 35+ Semipalmated Sandpipers, 20+ Least Sandpipers, 12 Lesser Yellowlegs, a single Pectoral Sandpiper, and 2 Semipalmated Plovers. A gorgeous immature Peregrine Falcon kept the mudflats in a stir. At least 18 Great Egrets, many Great Blue Herons, several Green Herons, and a nice movement of Purple Martins.
**The mudflats here should be checked regularly when possible**

Next door to Sandy Ridge (immediately east), is the new Moody Lakes housing complex and the All-American Sports Center. The large turf/sod/putting green here is perfect for plovers. I had between 70 and 80 Killdeer at this location - as I was looking intently for Buff-breasted Sandpiper but came up empty.

BELLEVUE continues to provide awesome habitat. Kenn's report from the 14th is more detailed, but here are some additional/updated sightings:

CATTLE EGRET: adult in breeding plumage, 292 (T81 or railroad track ponds).

Baird's Sandpiper: 2 juveniles on 292

American Golden-Plover: One molting adult on T80 pond, with Killdeer

Peregrine Falcon: 2 Juveniles; one on 175 north of Rt 20, one on C34 pond with amazing dramatic minute-long aerial chase of Lesser Yellowlegs (got away).

NOTES: No dowitchers, no phalaropes, no stilts....

LOCATIONS:

T81/292 (railroad track ponds): Still producing great numbers of birds, mostly "peeps" and Pectoral Sandpipers, Lesser and Greater Yellowlegs. Certain patches here are perfect for Buff-breasted Sandpiper.

T80 Pond (closing in): Small but good mix of birds, more peeps, yellowlegs, Pectorals.

C34 Pond: mudflats receding, but great number of birds (150+ total). Unfortunately, pond was dive-bombed by Peregrine before we could get a good grip on species diversity.

175 Pond, north of Rt. 20: large number of birds (200+). VERY unfortunately, pond was dive-bombed by Peregrine within minutes of our arrival, again could not get good grip on species diversity. At least 60+ yellowlegs, many Pectorals, tons of peeps.

If you have specific questions about species, species diversity, or locations, please feel to email me in private.

Best of birding -
Jen

Jen Brumfield
Sharon Center, OH