OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2008

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 16 Aug 2008 14:33:28 -0700
Greetings---the water level is finally dropping at Berlin Res. (Mahoning, Portage, and Stark Counties).  Choice mudflats are now developing at the SW end of the lake, in Stark Co.  Access them by parking beside the little blue bridge on Greenbower Rd. and walking NE along the eastern shore.  If the lake keeps dropping, the mudflats will progress NE towards the Price Rd. bridge and then the State Rte. 225 bridge.  Found in this area today: 10 wood ducks, 20 double-crested cormorants, great blue herons, 17 great egrets, osprey (they nest here), killdeers, 14 lesser yellowlegs, 8 solitary sandpipers, spotted sandpiper, 3 semipalmated sandpipers, 15 least sandpipers, 5 pectoral sandpipers, 450 ring-billed gulls, 4 Caspian terns, e. kingbird, e. phoebe, bank and barn swallows, cedar waxwings, indigo bunting, and Baltimore oriole.  This site has been a magnet for migrant shorebirds etc. in past years when suitable habitat is available.  On the way home,
 I estimated 60 double-crested cormorants at the I-76 bridge area of Meander Res. (while doing 60 mph).  Later, Craig