OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2008

From:
Jennifer Lenhart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jennifer Lenhart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Aug 2008 11:32:59 -0400
My friend and I participated in the Black Swamp Bird Observatory's Shorebird
ID program this weekend (which was awesome, by the way!) Kenn and Kim
Kaufman were great as was everyone who participated. In all for the day, my
friend and I spotted 60 species. Here's a breakdown. There were some really
cool birds to be found! (We saw some species at more than one location, but
I've only listed here the first place we saw them).

On Sat. morning before arriving at the field trip, we birded in Port Clinton
and saw:

Forster's Tern
Common Tern
Bonaparte's Gull
Common Grackle
Canada Goose
Ring billed Gull
European Starling
House Sparrow
Mourning Dove
Killdeer
Am. Robin

Also before the field trip, we birded at Magee Marsh and saw:

Great Blue Heron
Red Tailed Hawk
N. Cardinal
Brown Thrasher
Song Sparrow
Cliff Swallow
Cedar Waxwing
Am. Black Duck
E. Wood Peewee
Am. Goldfinch
Ruby Throated-Hummingbird
Grey Catbird
Red Wing Blackbird

Then, we headed to Ottawa NWR for the official field trip (with Kenn and Kim
Kaufman). There we found:

Sandhill Cranes
Sedge Wren
Barn Swallow
Pectoral Sandpiper
Lesser Yellowlegs
Greater Yellowlegs
Least Sandpiper
Semipalmated Sandpiper
Bald Eagle
Semipalmated Plover
Baird's Sandpiper
Marbled Godwit (!)
Trumpeter Swan
Great Egret
Black-bellied Plover
E. Kingbird
Short-billed Dowitcher
Stilt Sandpiper
Double Crested Cormorant
Cooper's Hawk
N. Flicker

We then headed to a flooded area in Bellevue, OH and found:

Peregrine Falcon
Am. Golden Plover
Pied-bill Grebe
Ruddy Duck
Am. Coot
Wood Duck
Purple Martin
Spotted Sandpiper
Bufflehead
Mallard Duck
Tree Swallow

On the way back to Cleveland, we stopped at Pipe Creek Wildlife Area in
Sandusky:

Blue-winged Teal
Caspian Tern
Yellow Warbler

Overall, it was a fantastic day of birding (19 lifebirds for me!), great
weather, and great people.

Cheers,
Jennifer Lenhart
Lakewood, OH