OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2008

From:
"Shrader, John" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Shrader, John
Date:
Mon, 18 Aug 2008 17:35:32 -0400
Saturday, Aug 16 - 4:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Based on the e-mail from Saturday morning by Ed and Bev Neubauer, we decided to check out the mudflats at Englewood MetroPark in north metro Dayton on Saturday afternoon.   As they mentioned, the mudflats at the main lake are excellent, and there were a lot of birds on it.  We had similar counts of the shorebirds, with the addition of two Pectoral Sandpipers.  And, we decided to try and estimate the number of Killdeers - the number approached 500!  (and we probably missed some on the back edges. . .)  We didn't find all the Great Blue Herons, but being late afternoon, maybe they'd already had their fill.

With the current high pressure, lack of rain, the lake should be getting better each day - definitely worth checking if you've got the time!

John and Karen Shrader
Centerville, Ohio, USA

Location:     Englewood Reserve
Observation date:     8/16/08
Notes:     TIME:  1600 - 1700
CONDITIONS: 75F, light N wind 5 mph, mostly clear, with a few cumulus clouds (beautiful day)
COVERAGE:  Main lake from the north end observation point
MAMMALS:  1.  White-tailed Deer - 2
                       2.  Eastern Gray Squirrel - 1
MISC:  Lake receding, with a great deal of very shallow water and mudflats

Number of species:     30

Wood Duck - Aix sponsa     10
Mallard - Anas platyrhynchos     40
Great Blue Heron - Ardea herodias     5
Turkey Vulture - Cathartes aura     10
Northern Harrier - Circus cyaneus     1
Broad-winged Hawk - Buteo platypterus     1
Semipalmated Plover - Charadrius semipalmatus     1
Killdeer - Charadrius vociferus     480
Spotted Sandpiper - Actitis macularius     4
Solitary Sandpiper - Tringa solitaria     4
Lesser Yellowlegs - Tringa flavipes     10
Semipalmated Sandpiper - Calidris pusilla     7
Least Sandpiper - Calidris minutilla     5
White-rumped Sandpiper - Calidris fuscicollis     2
Pectoral Sandpiper - Calidris melanotos     2
Chimney Swift - Chaetura pelagica     50
Ruby-throated Hummingbird - Archilochus colubris     1
Downy Woodpecker - Picoides pubescens     1
Eastern Wood-Pewee - Contopus virens     1     H.O.
American Crow - Corvus brachyrhynchos     2
Tree Swallow - Tachycineta bicolor     30
Northern Rough-winged Swallow - Stelgidopteryx serripennis     30
Barn Swallow - Hirundo rustica     50
Carolina Chickadee - Poecile carolinensis     3
Tufted Titmouse - Baeolophus bicolor     2
European Starling - Sturnus vulgaris     50
Cedar Waxwing - Bombycilla cedrorum     50
Baltimore Oriole - Icterus galbula     1     H.O.
American Goldfinch - Carduelis tristis     10
House Sparrow - Passer domesticus     25

This report was generated automatically by eBird v2(http://ebird.org <http://ebird.org/> )