OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2008

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 2008 14:27:39 -0700
I was able to visit Conneaut for about an hour around noon today.  The water level of L. Erie has definitely dropped some, and the shorebird habitat at Conneaut harbor is about as good as it will get there this year.  Seen were: 3 black-bellied plovers, 15 semipalmated plovers, 4 lesser yellowlegs, ruddy turnstone, 40 semipalmated sandpipers, 10 least sandpipers, 2 pectoral sandpipers, 3 stilt sandpipers, and 2 short-billed dowitchers.  Also a n. pintail, 10 Caspian terns, and a great black-backed gull that was old enough to actually have a black back.  I will be back there at dawn; I suspect we're gonna see one of those semi-famous Conneaut hot streaks this week.  NOTE: there was an article in the Y-town paper announcing this Saturday is the annual D-Day Re-enactment at Conneaut Harbor.  Do not try to go birding up there on Saturday; at least if you actually want to see any shorebirds.  Since L. Erie is dropping, it would be good if someone could
 eyeball the Crane Creek Estuary, the old Cedar Point chaussee, etc. soon.  If and when mudflats appear at these sites, it'll be game on for sure.  Later, Craig