OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2008

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Aug 2008 14:31:50 -0400
        The usual flooded-road b-n stilt site in southern Sandusky Co was
birdy, with four stilts, three Wilson's phalaropes, and a long-billed
dowitcher, along with both yellowlegs, killdeer and semi plo,
spotted/pectoral/solitary/semi-p/least/stilt sandpipers, two Caspian
terns, and the abstinent or at least infertile ruddy ducks. Friends
spotted a harrier nearby. More juveniles in the mix. The water continues
to fall; we talked with the property owners, who said it's only about
knee-deep over the road now; still, there are at least four other area
roads still closed by water, and many other roadside ponds which could
last through the coming month, or longer with some rain.
        No pipits of any flavor for us this morning. Late afternoon light would
have been much better, though, to be sure.
Bill Whan
Columbus