OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2008

Date:
Wed, 20 Aug 2008 21:37:33 EDT
After dinner this evening Linda and I checked out Areas M and N to both
determine whether I can get to my nest boxes to clean them and to see if the
juvenile Ruddy Turnstone was still around. There was no sign of the Ruddy
Turnstone but the mudflats are developing rapidly at Dustin Road (Area L),  and in
the area between Area M and Area N which can be viewed from the  boardwalk. We
were there from about 6:30 PM to 8:00 PM and compiled a nice list  considering
the reason for being there wasn't specifically to bird.  There  were 5 Osprey
perched at the platform and the trees nearby, several  Red-headed Woodpeckers
at the end of Area N, shorebirds on the sand spits, 5  Great Egrets and
numerous other species. The list of species we observed  includes:

Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Green Heron