OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2008

Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 2008 14:39:44 EDT
I'll start with the important information. As of 1:00 PM today (Friday),  the
5 American White Pelicans, the Marbled Godwit and a Wilson's Phalarope were
all present off the end of the Area M boardwalk in Galena. When I observed
them  they were all close enough to view nicely with binoculars, with a spotting
scope  you could count feathers.

I continued my odyssey with the nest boxes this morning [status - 122
completed, 128 remaining]. I planned to do two specific areas with a combined 20
nest boxes. Ah, the best laid plans gone awry. What I thought would take less
than two hours ended being about 4 1/2 hours. I extended the work into a third
area along the northeast shoreline as there were always more good shorebirds
just up the line. Then a flourish of warblers, add 5 Bald Eagles, one owl
and 1 1/2 miles of shoreline. Later I stopped at the Area M boardwalk to
determine whether there was more than one Marbled Godwit around and sure enough  I
located the second where it has been hanging about. The mudflats at Hoover
Reservoir are becoming extensive and there apparently was a fallout of new
arrivals. Throw in the Sandhill Cranes reported just southeast of the reservoir
and it should be worth a trip during the weekend.

The shorebirds are scattered in many areas, but are in decent numbers. The
warblers are present, but the numbers are not great in any particular  area.

My observations from this morning includes:
Pied-billed Grebe
American White Pelican    (5 at Area M  boardwalk)
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Green Heron