OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2008

From:
Matthew Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matthew Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Sep 2008 12:24:37 -0400
David:

It's a bit of a drive from Oberlin (Mapquest says 53 minutes) but Shaker
Lakes Nature Center in Shaker Heights, OH (near University Circle) has an
asphalt parking lot that leads onto a nice boardwalk (1/3 mile long)that has
produced some nice warblers and other birds the last two weeks.
http://www.shakerlakes.org/trail_info.asp It is basically a 'wet woods'
environment that is dry right now due to lack of sufficient rain.  The
boardwalk is a mix of shade and sun.  You can generally stand/sit in a shady
spot and see into the sunny areas if the sun is too intense.

Also, you can do some 'car birding' at Lakeview Cemetery which is nearby in
East Cleveland.  http://www.lakeviewcemetery.com/about_lakeview.html The
diversity of horticulture makes for good birding habitat.  I would go to
Shaker Lakes early in the morning and do Lakeview later.  I have not birded
there but I have toured the cemetery for its historical interest.  Maybe
others will comment on the birds.

The Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area towpath(also about 50 minutes
from Oberlin) is really very smooth for a gravel trail.  If you go to the
Ira Road Parking lot in the south part of the park near Bath, OH(just south
of Indigo Lake and across the street) you can take the towpath a short
distance north then get on the boardwalk over the beaver marsh.  Waterfowl
and fly catching birds are usually present.  This marsh is open to the full
sun so take a hat!  http://www.nps.gov/cuva/index.htm The website has a
button near the top that says "view map" to see an excellent map of the
area.

Good luck and heal quickly,

Matt Valencic
Chagrin Falls, OH