OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2008

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 2008 21:20:01 -0400
      On my way home today to Damascus, northeast Ohio, after several days in Columbus, I went by the Stork site about 4PM.
After a half hour, no Storks, no other vehicles on CR145, only a lone Green Heron.
      The only benefit of staying away from home because of job obligations, is the opportunity to visit new and different places and sometimes see new birds. Earlier this week I was able to see the 5 White Pelicans off the Galena boardwalk, and another evening see an amazing variety of Warblers bathing, compliments of Bruce Simpson at the Blendon Woods Nature Center. This year I have added 3 new Ohio life birds to my list; Black Rail, Wilson's Phalarope, and Wood Stork (#300), all because work put me at the right place at the right time.
      Today, after reaching my home area, normally a 3 hour drive, my wife met me at Berlin Lake about 6PM for a one hour walk. The water level is dropping fast, wet mudflats are disappearing.
Most of the remaining shorebirds are now east of the SR225 Bridge.
      Our highlight birds today were at least 11 American Golden-Plovers and 2 Olive-sided Flycatchers in the top of a cottonwood along the shore.
       We could see Shari Jackson way off on the mudflats to the east, near the largest concentration of shorebirds, with her scope. Hopefully she will post a detailed list of what she saw.

                           Glad to be home

                                Bob Lane