OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2008

From:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Sep 2008 12:26:47 -0400
The last mention of Hurricane Ike that I saw on this listserve reflected the
earlier prediction that the remains of Ike would pass over n.w. Ohio around
2 a.m. on Monday.  Since that time, the forward motion of the storm has
picked up considerably.  The center of the storm is over southern Illinois
right now (about noon on Sunday) and is predicted to pass over n.w. Ohio
late this afternoon, with strong wind advisories in effect from 2 pm to 10
pm.  One of the weather models that I saw had the highest winds in the
Toledo area around 5 pm.   We're likely to see heavy rain, thunderstorms,
winds of more than 30 mph with gusts possibly well over 40 mph.   So far,
looking at listserves from farther south, I haven't seen mention of anything
more exotic than Sooty Tern and Mag Frigatebird, and I don't know if there's
any chance that storm-related birds might reach Ohio.  But the weather is
likely to be bad for a while this afternoon, and that's a reason to either
go out looking (at your own risk) or hunker down indoors, depending on how
crazy you are.

Ike caused a huge amount of damage in Texas, and in talking about possible
storm-related bird occurrences, I don't mean in any way to be making light
of the destruction and suffering caused by the storm.

Kenn Kaufman
Oak Harbor, Ohio