OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2008

Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 2008 14:18:47 -0400
Posted pics of Osprey feeding.  Before anyone asks, I did check with the DNR as far as getting too close and they said that since the nest was in transition I could get close as long as I wasn't irritating the birds.  Having said that, I was I would estimate 50 yards away maybe more on the backside of the last little peninsula before the nest...concealed by a shrub and covered by a dark green shirt that I happened to be carrying with me.   One did know I was there, but it was more concerned with preening than me.
Here is link:  http://www.ohiobirds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2514#p2514

Now on to the Marbled Godwit. I took the opportunity to visit the twin lakes site, and have a question.  Do you think that that could be a second Godwit?  The reason why I say that is first judging from the photos that I took of both of them, the second's bill seems to be smaller.  I scaled images of both birds so that they were the same size  and one looks just a little smaller.  Second has anyone noticed how long the second Godwit has been limping?  The one that was over at Glacer Ridge was not favoring either leg but the one at twin lakes is.  I wasn't there on Saturday long enough to tell if it was limping then, but on Monday evening, it deffinately was.  I'm not saying that there are two,  the images that I took could have a slightly different angle that throws off the size, and the Godwit could have gotten injured in the past week.  But might it be possable?

Later.

Steve