OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2008

Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 2008 11:20:00 EDT

I love reading all these posts  about adventures with Chimney Swifts.
Chimney Swifts have always  captivated me.  When visible, they are constantly
in motion, making it  impossible to learn anything about the way the bird
really looks. When I first  got interested in birds, the fact that the
illustration of the bird in my field  guide was absolutely atrocious only added to the
intrigue.
A few years ago, I was working at  the Black Swamp Bird Observatory's
songbird banding station when we captured a  Chimney Swift; a rare occurrence to say
the least, since the birds tend to keep  to the air and not drop down into the
range of a 12 foot high mist net.    We believe the bird may have been
roosting in a large dead cottonwood tree near  the mist net it was captured in.
On the wing, the bird is 100%  mystery in motion, never pausing to allow
study of any detail. In the hand, the  bird is one of the most unusual creatures I
have ever encountered.  I have  banded thousands of warblers, vireos,
thrushes, et cetera, and have spent, what  I'm sure by now, amounts to hours with my
mouth hanging open in all-out awe of  the up-close beauty of birds like
Blackburnian Warbler, Cedar Waxwing, and Marsh  Wren. But, I have to tell you that,
for me, nothing has come close to that  little Chimney Swift.
The bird is so perfectly  constructed for its life style.  Gracefully,
beautifully long wings, that  even with the bird held still in my hand, seemed to
imply motion. Its face is  lovely, yet almost reptilian in appearance.   Large
eyes in a smallish head, with a  bill that is so tiny as to almost be
unnecessary.  But, when that bill opens….Yowza!  What a pie hole this bird displays.
Perfectly designed for sucking up insects out of the air.  Out of the bird’s
tail sprouted the  sharpest, needle-like spines that any porcupine would surely
have been jealous  of! Not just bizarre and cool, these spines have a purpose.
 The bird uses them to prop itself  against the inside of its nest cavity.
But, most surprising and  delightful for me, was the color of the bird’s
plumage.  What a total shock.  Not a single field guide does this bird  justice,
and, while I understand the rationale behind it -- shown from a  birder's
perspective since that’s the way it's typically seen -- it seems a  shame not to at
least give a teasing glimpse into the real story here.  The Kaufman guide
comes close, showing a  bird perched on the side of a tree, but in the hand, in
the right light,  WOW…What a gorgeous little bird this is.  Appearing solid,
sisterhood-gray in the  sky, up close the color is a shocking blend of subtle
purples, greens, blues,  and grays, all stirred together in the most striking
color combination that I’m  sure is next to impossible to blend on even the most
skilled artist’s palette.
The Columbus Audubon (CA) website  (newly revamped and pretty impressive)
includes information about Chimney  Swifts, and I believe that CA's, Darlene
Sillick, a fellow, crazed Chimney Swift  fan, is working on a blog about her
adventures with a huge Chimney Swift roost  near Dublin.  Check it out here:
_Click  here: What Just Zipped Into My Chimney?_
(http://www.columbusaudubon.org/production/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=191&Itemid=110)
Good birding, as if there’s  any other kind….
Kim Kaufman
Chimney Swift Appreciation  Society :  )