OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2008

From:
Bill Heck <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Heck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 2008 17:57:22 -0400
Mary and I poked around at Hoover Reservoir (northeast of Columbus) looking
for storm-blown waifs.  Looks as though the high winds blew birds away
rather than blowing birds in.

There were the usual gulls (most Ring-billed but a few Herrings, no
Bonaparte's) and Great Blue Herons; alas, no storm-tossed southern specialty
waders.  Shorebirds were scarce, with just a few Least Sandpipers on the
east shore near the road past the yacht club.  Even killdeer numbers seemed
to be down, with small groups rather than large flocks (by killdeer
standards).  The dark shapes in the air all were Turkey Vultures, not
frigatebirds.  The five pelicans near the yacht club would have been
exciting had they not been present for the past few weeks.

Of course, we didn't check every bird.  Were some of those distant gulls
unusual species?  Were stints hidden around the next corner?  Who knows?

Speaking of the abandoned road from the yacht club, it's a bit of an
obstacle course in spots but still quite passable for those nimble enough to
crawl over an occasional horizontal tree trunk or leafy branch; we only had
to go completely off trail once.  A couple of the smaller paths down to the
edge of the water present more difficulties.

--
Bill Heck