OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2008

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2008 01:38:02 -0400
Held close to home, I opted to bike around the Big Walnut Greenbelt, a series of parks stretching along this creek in the middle of Gahanna (a NE suburb of Columbus).  I could hear birds but see few as I biked through the riparain forest of Woodside Green park, but as the path opened into Academy Park, the extent of the fallout became clear.  Migrants were flitting & hopping along every edge.  The park is mostly playfields, with a shrubby edge along both the Creek and the edge of an old overgrown dump, and can be surprisingly good at concentrating migrants.  That facility was definitely on display this morning.  It took me nearly an hour to walk/bike along perhaps 200 m of edge.  Highlights included:

hummingbirds - 5-6, all dull-colored female or immature Ruby-throats

flycatchers - fair representation, with 5 Pewees, 2 Acadian, 2 Least, and 1 Phoebe

Vireos - 2-3 of each for Red-eyed and Warbling

Corvids - 6 Crows were outnumbered by 14+ Blue Jays

Thrushes - 5+ Swainsons, along with 1 Veery, not to mention 50+ Robins

Mimids,Waxwings - 10+ Catbirds, but even more (40+) cedar waxwings

Warblers - 12 species, with Black-thr.Greens (12), Magnolias (8), and Redstarts (7) most common.  Others were Parula, Tennessee (4), Nashville(3), Blackburnian (4), Blackpoll(2), Bay-breasted (4), Black&White (2), Common Yellowthroat(3),and Wilson's (2)

Grosbeaks,Buntings - 2-3 Indigo Buntings, and 1 Rose-br.Grosbeak

Sparrows - small numbers of Chipping, Field, and Song