OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2008

From:
"TINIANOW, Jerome" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TINIANOW, Jerome
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2008 08:23:53 -0400
On Monday I saw a female Common Goldeneye swimming and hunting in one of the recently-constructed wetlands in the Scioto Audubon Metro Park near downtown Columbus.  Audubon Ohio had previously recorded this species in the nearby Scioto River, but this was our first sighting in the new wetland.

While this sighting would not be considered particularly notable in the general scheme of Ohio birding, it is notable in this instance because the spot at which this Goldeneye was swimming was nothing more than a pile of post-industrial rubble just two years ago.  It's encouraging to know that we can restore even heavily-damaged central city properties and that the natural world is sufficiently hardy to move in quickly when we do.

Jerry Tinianow