OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2008

Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2008 12:48:56 -0400
Last night at two in the morning I had my first Owl experience at the sjlarue homestead.  When I say first, I mean first in the nearly 10 years of owning this house.

There are owls in the area as evidence of the mysterious piles of fluff I find in my yard from time. But I have never heard them.  In ten years of coming home at 2 to 3 in the morning I have never ever heard them.

Now as to species my best guess is a Geat Horned Owl.  The recordings of owls that I heard came close to it more than any other, Cornel describes it as a "hoo-h'HOO--hoo-hoo" and when I heard their recording of it, it was close. The only difference was that it was more  of a "hoo" just single hoots no real call.  I whistled like a screech owl and the thing did come closer and hoot again...the last thing I wanted at the time was to be attacked by an owl in pitch black...so I stopped whistling. :) I did hear it in a tree that was past my house a few seconds later...Unless I have two of the things which is possible of course.

Does it sound like I got the species right?   I know what a Mourning Dove sounds like and this wasn't a Mourning Dove. Any idea why it was doing the single hoot thing?

 I know as far as being rare, GHO's aren't rare.  But it was cool and kind of spooky to get out of my car in an absolutely quiet night and hear that.

Happy/Spooky birding and God Bless

Steve Jones
(a.k.a. sjlarue)