OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2008

From:
Jeff Maass <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 2008 17:46:42 -0400

Steve:

The Marbled Godwit is back at Twin Lakes as of 215 PM today when I was there.

It was having problems with one leg: it would feed a few "pokes", then seem to lose it's
balance and regain it's balance with a wing flutter.

The "Superman Rule" suggests that it's the same bird at both places. I have made the loop
from Twin Lakes to Glacier Ridge each day for over a week now (a couple times most days:
they are both close to my home office), and when the Marbled Godwit is at one place, there
is *never* a Marbled Godwit at the other. Not conclusive, of course, but suggestive.

I had a report from a friend that the Godwit was favoring it's right leg at Twin Lakes
Sunday evening. I'd watched it for a long while on Saturday afternoon at the same spot,
and didn't notice any leg issues then, just the neverending poke-poke-poke-poke. I suspect
that the leg suffered an injury sometime late Saturday or on Sunday.

Not much reason for it to go back to Glacier Ridge now: *very* little good feeding area
left as the water continues to dry up.

Jeff