OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2008

From:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 2008 17:57:11 -0400
To follow up on my post from earlier:   Today, Friday Sept. 19, there were
at least 20 species of warblers found in the immediate area of Magee Marsh /
Ottawa Natl Wildlife Refuge in n.w. Ohio.  I saw more Blackpoll Warblers
than any other species, but there were also decent numbers of Magnolias, Am.
Redstarts, Bay-breasteds, Blackburnians, and Cape Mays. Relatively
"early-fall" migrants were still in evidence, with Canada and Wilson's
Warblers in small numbers. I was most surprised to see a Blue-winged
Warbler, one of the classic "early" migrants, on the Magee boardwalk only a
few yards away from an Orange-crowned Warbler, which is a classic "late"
migrant among warblers. However, the late shift definitely has not taken
over yet:  I saw only one Yellow-rumped Warbler, a harbinger of the hordes
yet to come, and I saw numbers of Swainson's and Gray-cheeked Thrushes but
no Hermit Thrushes (Hermits will be the main brown thrushes around in
October).

Tonight the wind is supposed to swing around from east-northeast toward the
south, and if it happens early enough, many of these migrants should stick
around for the weekend. A bird banding demonstration is scheduled for 10 -
11:30 a.m. Saturday Sept 20 at the BSBO office, just north of Rt 2 at the
entrance to the Magee Marsh Wildlife Area. This demo is free and open to the
public. Also on Saturday there will be a "BSBO Lunch Lecture" at the same
place, from 12:30 to 2 p.m., for a nominal charge (please call ahead to
reserve a space, at 419 898 4070, or see further info at
http://www.bsbo.org/events/september_events.htm
 Lunch is included, and this Saturday's program will be by Ethan Kistler --
one of the hot young phenoms of Ohio birding -- talking about the nocturnal
flight calls of migrating birds. If you're going to be out, consider coming
to BSBO to learn about migrant birds from all angles!

Kenn Kaufman
Rocky Ridge, Ohio