OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2008

From:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Sep 2008 15:37:09 -0400
Again today there are excellent numbers of migrants in the general area of
Magee Marsh / Ottawa NWR in n.w. Ohio.  Just as yesterday, the highest
densities seem to be a little south of the actual lakeshore areas.  At the
Black Swamp Bird Observatory, just north of Rt 2 at the entrance to Magee
Marsh Wildlife Area, a steady parade of migrants was coming to the new water
feature right outside "Anna's Window on Wildlife."  I spent only about half
an hour there myself, but during that time eleven species of warblers put in
an appearance, with eye-level studies of Blackpolls, Bay-breasteds, Cape
Mays, and others cavorting just outside the one-way glass.  Superb studies
of Gray-cheeked and Swainson's Thrushes were other highlights.

The forecast calls for mostly clear skies, and winds with a northerly
component, for the next couple of nights, so some of the birds present now
are probably going to leave.  They may be replaced by more migrants coming
from the north, though, so numbers may remain high.  The first big influx of
Yellow-rumped Warblers and Hermit Thrushes hasn't occurred yet, so we're
still in the peak variety of the songbird migration, not into the latter
stages so far.

Kenn Kaufman
Rocky Ridge, Ohio