OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2008

From:
jen brumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
jen brumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Sep 2008 20:01:39 +0000
Greetings birders -

The sparsely wooded/shrubby edges, phragmite stands, grassy wetlands and mudflat edges of Lorain Impoundment were absolutely hopping this morning. From 10 am - 12:30 pm I carefully worked the circular dike four times hopping to get a grip on what was present. Shorebird numbers were slim (6 species), but included one Baird's. Warblers were active (7 species), and passerine highlights included good numbers of sparrows, a single DARK-EYED JUNCO and PINE SISKIN. As the impoundment sits directly on Lake Erie, there is quite a bit of turnover with all birds in general. The siskin flew in from overhead and dropped into the willow stands.

Semipalmated Plover - 1
Lesser Yellowlegs - 7
Greater Yellowlegs - 1
Ruddy Turnstone - 1