OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2008

From:
Matt Vosniak <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matt Vosniak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Sep 2008 12:05:36 -0400
Hey Folks,

After reading the post from this past weekend about the mudflats being
decent again at Lorain I decided to check it out this morning.  The entire
eastern and western sides are nothing but mudflats.  I thought the filling
being done there was a lot of water but it was mostly mud.  There is
virtually no water on either side except for small puddles or narrow
channels otherwise there is little standing water just wet mud.  I started
up the eastern side and about half way down there was some pockets of
shorebirds. There was semi-palmated plovers and sandpipers and some least
sandpipers as far as I could make out.  I also heard what sounded like two
rails possibly soras but I could not find them on the opposite side in the
weeds.  A little farther down on the eastern end was a single short-billed
dowitcher.  The north pond is still quite full of water.  The western side
was where the action was though this morning.  The western side is kind of
broken into two sections the more northern section of the west side was
LOADED with shorebirds.  I am not the best at IDing birds that are more
uncommon but I know I saw the same birds as the eastern side and some
pectorals along with some sandpipers that looked larger than the semi-
palms and leasts.  A more experienced birder would be able to tell as many
birds were close.  Another birder who was there with a scope was able to
find two soras on the far side of the pond and then a juvenile sora popped
out about ten feet in front of us in the same section.  In the more
southern section of the west side I was able to see one Wilson's Snipe
along with many other birds.

Sorry I am not able to give good numbers or ID's but Lorain is worth
checking out right now.  Like I said earlier there is very little water on
either the eastern or western side and with no rain perdicted the sides
will dry up fast. My only suggestion is to REALLY REALLY get your bug
spray on heavy.  I have NEVER ever saw mosquitos anywhere as bad as what's
at Lorain right now.  I think I got bit at least hundred times and I had
bug spray on.  I apparently missed some spots.

Take Care,

Matt