OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2008

From:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Sep 2008 17:33:41 -0700
Lorain Impoundment is the place to go for diminutive
shorebirds, at present.  This afternoon, Jen Brumfield
and I observed multiples of the five Ohio "peep"
species here at close range, including WESTERN (2
juv.), WHITE-RUMPED (2 ad.), and BAIRD's (3 juv.)
They were part of a group of a hundred or so birds
present - all peeps/Semi Plovers, with a single
Short-billed Dowitcher and three Pectorals in the mix.
 The reason for this is the lack of standing water,
but there is plenty wet soil for these muck probers.

By the way, Matt Valencic's warning about the
mosquitoes should NOT be taken lightly...the bugs
around the flats are ridiculous.  I don't know if they
were like this at Gordon Park Impoundment back in the
day, but here they are reminiscent of the deep
south...and we were there during the hottest part of
the day, when it was 90+ degrees.  Going now, to nurse
my wounds...

-Gabe Leidy
Cleveland