OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2008

From:
Sherri Hamm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sherri Hamm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Sep 2008 07:52:27 -0400
I was down to see the storks last Thursday night.  I saw them eating fish mostly.  Some the size of your pinky finger.  Some were full size "sun fish",  ( blue gill family).  The left wing stork was finding "bull heads" (cat fish), taking them to shore, snipping off the sharp barb fins with the side of its bill and then swallowing it whole.   It was kind of a challenge since the solitary Great Blue Heron would not leave him alone long enough for him to prep his meal and eat quickly.

Gathering food was interesting.  The bill was straight down in the water and open.  The stork was stamping in the water beside it's bill.  I thought it was flushing fish through.  When the fish swim through it he just clamped down on it, raise his head out of the water, arrange the fish in line with his throat and throw it back, down the hatch.

The wing that was up was opposite the stamping foot.  So I kind of agree with the "balance" theory.  I am certainly no expert on bird behavior so I can only report what I see.

Also on the "V"- shaped pond was a little green heron.  He was quite shy and stayed back under the large brush in the middle of the "v".

The mosquitoes are crazed lunatics and act like they haven't eaten in their entire lives.  I will have a permanent scare from the one that bit me on the back.

FLAT TIRE report.  I did not turn around and drive out the way I came in to the pond. I continued west and came out at route 83.  It wasn't long before my back left tire was flat and flapping on the highway. SO, if you go make sure your spare tire is in great condition and leave the pond with time to change your flat before sunset.  Sun goes down at 8pm ish.

Gas price: $3.41 per gallon,  flat tire repair: $150,  seeing the wood storks: yes, priceless.

Sherri Hamm
Akron