OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2008

From:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Sep 2008 16:46:45 -0400
I just sent this link to Bob Baran.  After many studies of red-shouldered
hawks in several states I had to do more for Bob than to say what it was.  I
looked up a good link for him with a similar view of his bird.

I went to the intranet and typed in 'red-shouldered hawk in flight' and an
interesting website popped up.  Brian Wheeler has his fabulous book out on
photographing and identifying these magnificent birds of prey.  There is a
website to visit to work through difficult views.

http://www.virtualbirder.com/bkwheeler/

Brian K. Wheeler is a noted bird artist, bird photographer, and author. He
is best known as illustrator, co-author, and co-photographer for Peterson
Field GuidesR:Hawks and A Photographic Guide to North American Raptors. He
is highly acclaimed as a raptor photographer with numerous credits in
magazines and books. He also paints life-sized images of North American
birds.

Remember Brian will be speaking (keynote speaker) at the BSBO/OOS Raptor
Conference the end of Sept.  I can't wait to hear him speak.

http://www.greatblue.com/cgi-bin/vbirder-boilerPlate/BKWHIF?CONFIG_ID=r19
<http://www.greatblue.com/cgi-bin/vbirder-boilerPlate/BKWHIF?CONFIG_ID=r19&C
ONFIG_FILE=/vbirder/HAWK/gallery/bkwheeler/Gallery.dat&BAND=mid>
&CONFIG_FILE=/vbirder/HAWK/gallery/bkwheeler/Gallery.dat&BAND=mid

It appears this website has been there for a few years but I thank Bob for
posting his photo question to help me find an interesting website so I can
learn more.  I live close to Glacier Ridge and know they have had nesting
red-shoulders there.  Plus the western part of Dublin is in my CBC circle
and I have been delighted over the last couple years to find them on count
day.

Please note: the OHOS CBC (O'Shaughnessey Christmas Bird Count) is Saturday
Jan 3, 2009.  It takes in 3 counties, southern Delaware, northwestern
Franklin and eastern Union counties.  Please email me privately if you can
help our team with this important CBC.  And they are all important to bird
conservation and citizen science!!

Darlene Sillick

Powell, Ohio