OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2008

From:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Sep 2008 22:07:10 -0400
Not the numbers of astounding counts of by gone years, but tonight at Sells
Middle School in Dublin Ohio (161/Rt 33 just east of 270) was the best of
the 2008 season.  I would imagine the numbers will continue to increase for
the next couple weeks.  I estimated about 750 chimney swifts give or take.
20 -25 birders and now new birders enjoyed the awesome evening and
spectacle. The first bird went in at 7:20pm and last went in about 8:20pmET.

Between 7:20 and 8:05 pm about 40 birds went in the chimney then the stream
of birds descended. From 8:05 to 8:18pm about 700 birds streamed in.  From
8:18 to 8:20pm another 8 to 10 birds went in.  The light by the little more
than crescent moon gave a nice back light to the chimney.  About 7:15pm I
could see a stream of nighthawks to the south heading east.  With the school
building in the way, I could only see about 8 birds above the roof.
Definitely a flock on the move...  As with a couple nights ago, a low flying
bat was chased away by a couple swifts when it entered the area where the
large swift flock was tightening their counter clockwise flight pattern.

Try to head out before 7:30pm and watch the large chimneys in your areas.
It really is an interesting spectacle to observe.

Larry & Elaine Smith of Hilliard Ohio emailed me last night to say that the
activity is high at the Galena United Methodist Church.  "We got a pizza and
some soda and parked there in the school bus lot to the east like we were at
an old timey drive-in theatre.  The show was truly spectacular - the most
amazing thing I have seen outdoors in a long time!  I was enjoying the
beauty of it too much to try getting a count, but at their peak the swift
density was such that I would estimate there were many more than 1,300 birds
swirling overhead!  Unfortunately, we were the only people there to see it
(except for occasional strolling townsfolk, probably jaded from regular
exposure, who gave the birds only brief glances).

It was exciting to think that the swift show was no doubt going on in Dublin
simultaneously!  When we arrived at 7:33 pm, there were already maybe 3-4
dozen birds in the air.  After countless apparently aborted attempts, the
first swift actually dropped into the chimney at 8:03 pm, and they were all
inside by 8:20 pm (which happened to coincide with the time that the first
katydids began calling . . . wonder if the two species are triggered by the
same light intensity level??).  What an amazing show - I am speechless!
Something every lover of nature should witness at least once."

Thanks,

Darlene Sillick

Powell, Ohio