OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2008

From:
Glen Crippen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 2008 05:32:02 -0700
On some evenings, especially lately here in Morgan County (old DeLorme 70 D2) I have had up to four screech owls vocalizing simultaneously on and around the rural acres that I live.  I think there are a lot of factors effecting the way we hear screechs - that are not limited to the owl itself.  For instance - wind direction, relative humidity/dew point, air temperature and atmospheric pressure certainly have to play a role.  Sometimes when the wind is calm and the pressure is low I can hear the trains through the hills, which is easily over 5 miles away the way the crow flies.  The train can sound like its barreling up through the woods when really it is quite far away.  However, I'm sure that the owl adjusts its volume relative to the emphasis it wants to put on its message.  I have heard them so softly and other times loudly enough to surprise you when see how small they really are.  One of the four owls I hear is a brilliant red phase bird.

Glen Crippen
Burr Oak Lake