OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2008

From:
Nathaniel Nye <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nathaniel Nye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Sep 2008 21:25:56 -0400
I spent the late afternoon at Prairie Oaks Metro Park, where I was able to
watch (at about 4 pm) a Western Sandpiper feeding in the muddy pond at the
main bend in the road.  He was accompanied by a single Semipalmated
Sandpiper, but also at the pond were a Solitary Sandpiper, about a dozen
Killdeer, a Green Heron, and about 6 Mallards.  I was able to observe it at
very close range (about 25 ft away), in excellent light, and very close to
the Semipalmated.  I've seen tons of Westerns on the Pacific Coast (grew up
near Seattle), so it wasn't too hard to recognize him when I saw him.  The
rufous on the back and longer, slightly drooped bill really stand out next
to a Semipalmated.

I also had the opportunity to go hiking with some friends down in Zaleski
State Forest today.  I did get to see some good birds, but it was limited
since we were shooting to cover 7.5 miles before noon.  We had to keep
moving most of the morning.  But I did see about 5 Hooded Warblers, a few
Worm-eating, a Blackburnian, Tennessee, Redstart, Ovenbird, Red-eyed and
Yellow-throated Vireos, Hairy and Pileated Woodpeckers, Scarlet Tanager, and
tons of Eastern Wood-pewees and Eastern Towhees.  Not as many birds as I
could have seen, but we had a great time hiking anyways.

Good birding~

Nate Nye
Hilliard, OH