OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2008

From:
Laura Dornan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 2008 14:36:01 EDT
Yesterday, Tim & I decided on a spur of the moment trip to Magee to see  all
the delightful warblers Mary Warren had listed has being there.
Unfortunately for us, but fortunately for the birds, the beautiful weather had  apparently
encouraged them to move along.  We say a few strays, including a
Blackburnian & what was probably a Blackpoll, 1 Cape May, 1 Black-throated  Blue &
several Redstarts.  There were also some warblers we couldn't  id, either due to
difficult viewing conditions or our own ignorance--usually the  latter.  The most
abundant "good" bird was Warbling Vireo.  Though we  never saw any, we were
hearing them much of the way along the  boardwalk.  Red-eyed Vireos were also
present in good numbers.

After the somewhat disappointing walk along the boardwalk, we decided  to
come hope via Bellevue.  That turned out to more than make up for  the lack of
warblers.  On TR 292 at the RR tracks (where the road was  closed due to high
water for much of the summer), there is still some water left  on the north side
of the tracks.  We hit the mother lode!   The shorebirds are all concentrated
in a sky-pond right along the  road.  We found about 10 species of shorebirds
and I am sure there were  some others we didn't pick out from the hoards.  I
would say in total there  were about 300-500 birds present.  I started out
trying to count them but  soon gave up.  Here's the list:

Killdeer-- 200 at least
Lesser Yellowlegs--100-150
Dowitcher (Long-billed, based on probability)--100-150
Black-bellied Plover--6
American Golden Plover--20+
Pectoral Sandpiper--saw about 10, think there were more
STILT SANDPIPER--1
Semi-palmated Sandpipers--lots, couldn't sort out all the peeps
WESTERN Sandpipers--there were definitely some identifiable amongst the
semi-palms
Semi-palmated Plover--3, there were probably more
Horned Larks--3
AMERICAN PIPITS--2
Ruddy Duck--1
Mallards--20, including 6 still pretty small ducklings
Great-crested Cormorant--1
Cedar Waxwing-1
Tree Swallows--10

Haven't been well-enough to walk the mudflats at Berlin.  This more  than
made up for it and it couldn't be any easier.  I urge you all to get  out there
before the pond dries up.

Laura Dornan
Stark County