OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2008

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 18 Oct 2008 16:51:06 -0700
I only went to Wildwood Park in Cleveland today and Sims Park in Euclid later.  Didn't see much at Sims Park.  Only warblers seen at Wildwood were Yellow-rumped.  At Wildwood the state park was putting together some halloween/fright night for the kids with scary stuff and park personnel were running their trucks/carts through the park & woods all day like a raceway.  It wasn't sunny til later in the day, mostly under 50 degrees with strong winds N or NE as the day progressed.  Not many species of birds seen:

Wildwood 9:45 - 12:00 also 3:30 to 4:15pm
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher 1 (still had fuzz on it)
Brown Creeper 1
Golden-crowned Kinglets & Ruby-crowned - about equal - 12-15 of each
Yellow-rumped Warblers - over 35 most numerous bird today
Eastern Towhee 1 m
White-throated Sparrows - heard many - most hidden
Dark-eyed Juncos 4-5
Red-winged Blackbirds - many up near lake in AM (sounded like I was in counties further west in the summer)
Starlings - lesser amount of these also numerous
House Finch 2

Also spent about 45 mins going along the fenceline of the library just south of Wildwood.  There is a very long fence where additional birds might be seen in areas of the park where the woods and or poison ivy might keep one from going like "south side" of the field and the entire woods to the left of the entrance to Wildwood to the recycling area and over to Euclid Beach mobile home park area.

Nancy Anderson
Richmond Hts, OH
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a/