OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2008

From:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Oct 2008 16:08:13 -0400
As a follow-up to the excellent programs at the statewide Audubon Assembly
held yesterday in Bellville, we took a field trip today (Sunday Oct. 19) to
the Ohio Bird Sanctuary southwest of Mansfield.  Gail Laux gave us a great
tour of that facility and we enjoyed close looks at some of their rehab /
education birds while hearing about their outstanding educational programs.
We also did some birding in the general area, and at the upper end of Clear
Fork Reservoir we were treated to a Merlin that buzzed the marsh and then
perched for scope studies.  Two fly-over Pine Siskins undoubtedly were part
of the movement recorded all over the state during the last few days, and
other highlight birds included fine studies of Red-shouldered Hawk, Wilson's
Snipe, Pileated Woodpecker, and a few dozen Rusty Blackbirds associated with
a large flock of Red-winged Blackbirds coming up out of a night roost in the
marsh.  It was a beautiful day to be out celebrating birds and saluting the
organizations that are working to protect them.

Kenn Kaufman
Rocky Ridge, Ohio