OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2008

From:
H Thomas Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
H Thomas Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Oct 2008 20:07:34 -0400
Paula Bartlett, Pat Hayes and myself conducted the monthly census yesterday
morning from 0730 to 1230.  Weather was beautiful and birds were moving.  We
ended the day with 60 species which is slightly above the 11 year average
for October (58 species).  Three new species were added to the October
list.  Those were Wild Turkey, Hairy oodpecker, and Clay-colored Sparrow.  I
am not sure what to do with the Wild Turkey.  There is a flock of 19+ which
are rumored to have been brought over to the island by a local and
released.  Not sure that was a good idea or what ODOW thinks of it.  The
Hairy Woodpecker is not unexpected and should have been recorded before.  It
is not a common bird at anytime on the island.  The Clay-colored Sparrow was
an immature found along the wet area of the North Pond trail.
 We began our Northern Saw-whet Owl banding project Saturday evening
(10/18/2008).  11 saw-whets were captured and banded.  2 additional
saw-whets were captured and banded Sunday night.  The owls have arrived!!

Census Results:

*          Pied-billed Grebe
5393    Double-crested Cormorant
3         Great Blue Heron
172      Canada Goose
53        Mallard
1          Red-breasted Merganser
3          Turkey Vulture
1          Sharp-shinned Hawk
1          Cooper's Hawk
*           Red-tailed Hawk
19         Wild Turkey
4           Killdeer
628       Bonapartes Gull
1666     Ring-billed Gull 182       Herring Gull
2          Great Black-backed Gll
900       Gull species?
1           Caspian Tern
13         Mourning Dove
*           Eastern Screech-Owl
*           Great Horned Owl
*           Northern Saw-whet Owl
*           Belted Kingfisher
6          Red-bellied Woodpecker
1          Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
9          Downy Woodpecker
1          Hairy Woodpecker
11        Northern Flicker
2          Eastern Phoebe
5          Blue-headed Vireo
15        Blue Jay
24        American Crow
3          Horned Lark
71        Black-capped Chickadee
2          Red-breasted Nuthatch
2          White-breasted Nuthatch
11        Brown Creeper
9          Carolina Wren
27        Winter Wren
189      Golden-crowned Kinglet
63        Ruby-crowned Kinglet
44        Kinglet species?
41        Hermit Thrush
193      American Robin
60        European Starling
1          American Pipit
10        Cedar Waxwing
1          Nashville Warber
1          Black-throated Blue Warbler
254       Yellow-rumped Warbler
1          Common Yellowthroat
75        Warbler species?
8          Eastern Towhee
13        Chipping Sparrow
1          Clay-colored Sparrow
5          Song Sparrow
2          Swamp Sparrow
165      White-throated Sparrow
 2         White-crowned Sparrow
47        Dark-eyed Junco
25        Northern Cardinal
220      Red-winged Blackbird
4          Rusty Blackbird
3          Common Grackle
1          Brown-headed Cowbird
2          Purple Finch
22        House Finch
4          American Goldfinch
81        House Sparrow

* = observed on the island during census day but not on census route

60 species
10779 individuals observed

--
H. Thomas Bartlett