OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2008

Date:
Sat, 25 Oct 2008 01:31:56 -0400
  Right before the stormy weather blew in Friday morning I had a very birdy yard. I love it when I can watch a lot of birds without even leaving the house! Had a few new arrivals to my yard for this fall/winter. The fruit trees were a major attraction and were graced by some of my favorite yard visitors: Cedar Waxwings. Some fall colored Chipping Sparrows and a few Juncos were new. Also had my first Pine Siskin of the fall, but it only made a brief appearance at my finch feeder. List below:

American Robin - 40  ... a large flock feasting in the trees and on the ground

Eastern Bluebird - 4

Tufted Titmouse

Carolina Chickadee

White-breasted Nuthatch

Golden-crowned Kinglet - 1   a good sighting for close to the house (not much to interest them)

Yellow-Rumped Warbler - 4

Chipping Sparrow - 10        kind of a surprise, haven't seen them for weeks

Darke-eyed Junco - 3

White-throated Sparrow - 2

Song Sparrow

Eastern Towhee - 1

American Goldfinch - 12

House Finch - 2

Pine Siskin    - 1

House Sparrow

Northern Cardinal - 6

Red-Bellied Woodpecker - 2

Downy Woodpecker - 3

Euro Starling          - 20

Blue Jay - 6

Red-Winged Blackbird - 20  a migrating flock of males and females

American Crow - 4

Turkey Vulture - 2

Red-tailed Hawk - 1

Wood Duck       - 4      a flyby flock, we've been host to groups of up to ten (refuge from the

                                  hunters) on our stream.

         I think 26 species of yardbirds for only about an hour of watching was pretty good. Many of those birds are species I hardly ever get up near the house. It made this dreary day more bearable.

             Good Birding,    Ben Warner