OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2008

From:
Lyn Topinka <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lyn Topinka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 2008 22:18:43 -0700
Thanks group !!!!!!!!!! ... I got many nice responses, the majority
agreeing with what I suspected but just wasn't sure ... a Chipping
Sparrow in either a winter plumage or a youngster ... quite of few of
the responses however suggested a young Swamp Sparrow, which was also
on my "short list" ... I'd never seen either bird (in fact, I've
never even heard of a Swamp Sparrow until I started trying to figure
out what my guy was) so a Chipping is a first-time bird for me ...

as to the Black-capped Chickadee or Carolina Chickadee, altho I
hadn't asked about him quite a few of you responded because he was on
the same page of "unknowns" as the Chipping ... you all were split
just 50/50 !!! ... because it's not the best image in the world and
therefore is quite questionable, I'm just going to pretend I never
photographed that particular bird (grin) ...

all-in-all in the 5 days I was in Ohio, I photographed 15 birds at my
folks feeder or in their immediate backyard, I photographed 2 others
at a nearby lake, and I saw 3 others but were not able to photograph
them ... gosh, I even saw (but unfortunately didn't get to
photograph) an honest-to-goodness Hinkely Buzzard !!!!!!!! (their
return even makes the papers out here !!!)  ...

here's the beginning of my webpage which has some of the images
sorted through and worked up ... more will be added later as I get time ...

enjoy ...

http://columbiariverimages.com/Birds/OhioBirds/index.html

again, thanks again ... I may actually stay on your list for a while
as the postings coming across mention so many places I knew as a kid
... I'm enjoying it.

have fun birding,
Lyn

Lyn Topinka