OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2008

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Oct 2008 18:18:10 -0400
I was scouting around the NW shore of Hoover reservoir, looking for good spots and birds for a weekend Audubon trip.  I focused on Oxbow Island, the Plumb Rd/Wiese Rd accesses, and the Sunbury causeway, which offer great views of the N end of the reservoir.  Mudflats are probably at their maximum, but the cooler temperatures have depressed the bugs, so shorebirds were scarce.  Best birds were:

White Pelicans - yes, the 5 are still here, but perhaps not for long.  I saw 2 soaring south over the Sunbury causeway later in the morning.

Cormorants - the big roost is now on a gravel island north of the causeway, which held 80+ birds today.  In contract, the upper bay by Galena had 10.

Waterfowl - scattered geese and Mallards were expected, but 9 Wood Ducks at Oxbow Island and 10 Green-winged Teal off Wiese Rd were not

Shorebirds - a few Kildeer were at all locations, but the best was a Black-bellied Plover calling at Oxbow.

swifts, swallows - many over the northern reservoir early in the morning.  From Oxbow Island, I had 50+ swifts, 60+ Tree Swallows, and 1-2 Rough-wings; the upper bay off Wiese rd had 70+ Tree Swallows.

Vireo - only 1, a Blue-headed along Wiese Rd

Thrushes,Waxwings - no forest thrushes, but plenty of Robins, as well as 2 small groups of south-flying Bluebirds (3 at Oxbow, 4 at Maxtown boat ramp later in the morning). Flocks of waxwings were at most stops, but none larger than 25 birds.

Warblers - 7 species, with Yellow-rumps most numerous.  A good mixed flock at the tip of Oxbow Island had 20+ Yellow-rumps, 2 Cape Mays, 2 Blackpolls, 1 Nashville, 1 Magnolia, and 1 Black-thr.Green.  Cape Mays were at several locations, as were Common Yellowthroats.

Sparrows - small flocks of White-throats at several locations, but little else

Blackbirds - several flocks of Redwings, with 80+ at Wiese rd the largest.