OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2008

From:
Jay Stenger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jay Stenger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Oct 2008 14:57:06 -0400

My son, Jack Stenger, called and asked me to post the following report for him.

Jack and Sean Williams found a Hudsonian Godwit at Big Island Wildlife Area this afternoon. They first saw the bird at around 12:45 p.m. and the bird was still present at 1:45 when they decided to move on. The bird was in mostly winter plumage, however it still retained some brick red coloration in its lower underparts. The bird was feeding in the company of a decent assemblage of other shorebirds comprised of at least 10 species.

The bird was seen in one of the impoundments on the north side of US 95 (west of Marion, Ohio) foraging very close to the road. You cannot see the shorebirds from the road however and will have to cross a ditch and climb up atop the dike to get a decent view.

To find the exact spot, use the observation deck parking lot on the north side of US 95 as a starting point. Go to the next parking lot due west of there and on the same side of the road. The Hudsonian Godwit was in the impoundment north of the road and just west of this parking lot.

The godwit is banded. For what its worth the band on the left leg is white over red. The letters NN could be seen on the white band. Jack and Sean are pretty sure those are the only letters on the band. The right leg has a metal band.

Big Island Wildlife Area is shown in the Ohio Atlas on page 47, D-6.

Jay Stenger

Cincinnati, Ohio