OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2008

From:
Jeremiah Roth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeremiah Roth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Oct 2008 21:11:01 -0400
I decide to take a break from my studies to go see the Nelson's Sharp-
tailed Sparrow at the Richfield Coliseum Site (Summit Co.). When I arrived
around 11:30am, four individual were out in the field look and walking
around the field in search of the bird.  I walk towards these individuals
to see if they had spotted the sparrow, but had no success. So I joined in
hunt for bird. We walked to both wet patches of the field.  We kicked up
two birds in the second wet patch on the western side of the field.  We
cased (ie.walked) these two sparrow-like birds north through the wet
patch/ditch.  The two birds would fly 30, 40, 50 ft then dive into the
vegetation.  We final cased the birds within 50ft of the north woodline
and the two birds turn towards the east and we loss them after that.
We returned to the south end of the wet patch, once again we kicked up a
sparrow-like bird and the bird flew west and dove into vegeation.  After
that we decided to walk over to the first wet patch in the middle of the
field.  Once again as we approached the wet patch a sparrow-like bird flew
up.  This time the bird flew 25-30ft to a tuft of dead vegetation.  I was
able to get a short and brief look at the bird morphology, but the
lighting was fair to poor, and could only make-up the light brown color of
the wing feather (mediam, greater parts, also the rump and uppertail
coverts which are light brown in color).  My final conclusion is that this
potential bird was the Nelson's Sharp-tail Sparrow, but since the birds'
behavior was shy and quick when it feels threatened by predators.

Additional birds seen at the Coliseum Site:
Song Sparrow
Field Sparrow
Vespor Sparrow
Red-tail Hwak
Turkey Vulture
Blue Jay

I took a drive down to O'Niel Woods, Serving Summit Co. Metroparks. I
walked to the late successional field.  The usually suspect were present:
Cedar Waxing Wings (12)
Blue Jay
American Crow (on the wing)
Black-capped chickadee
White-breasted Nuthatch
Northern Cardinal
Field Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Baltimore Oriole
Ruby-Crowned Kinglet (was foraging for insects on and amongest crab apple
trees)
Canadain Geese on the wing, when I was leaving.

Thank you Gabe for the heads-up!!!
See you in the field,
Jeremaih W. Roth