OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2008

Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 2008 04:14:55 -0400
I called a couple of guys that work for the Fish and Wildlife service.  (The same ones you did Jay...they remembered you. :-) )

I was able to supply them partial info on the band on the right leg.  Enough that they were able to tell me everything about the bird.

The bird is a male from Churchill Manitoba:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Churchill,+Manitoba&ie=UTF8&ll=61.773123,-87.451172&spn=17.62231,73.212891&t=h&z=4&iwloc=addr

It was one of about 25 that were tagged this year by a grad student from Cornell.  The white tag tells where it was tagged; Manitoba.  If it had been red, then it would have been tagged in Chile. The tag also contains a data logging device.(That is the green looking thing on the back side.)

Also, he fathered three chicks...that didn't make it very far past hatching; July 5th, because they were eaten by a predator.

Other than that they also said that it was "Pretty amazing!"...I am assuming that it is because the bird is in ohio...I find it pretty amazing that they can tell that much from one little white tag and the last two digits from a stamped tag.

Also they said that if you come across one that has a red tag then let them know. Just email Brad Andres at [log in to unmask]  ... not that we will see another one any time soon, but you never know.

Pictures will be posted shortly.

Happy birding and God Bless

Steve Jones
(a.k.a. sjlarue)