OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2008

From:
Bob Powell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Powell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 2008 22:10:28 -0400
Larry Gara and I went up to Big Island this morning in pursuit of the
Hudsonian Godwit.  We didn't find it but we did luck into a small but
rewarding pocket of shorebird migrants in the pools west of the observation
deck on Rte 95.  Here's the rundown:
Black-bellied Plover            1
Semipalmated Plover          2
Killdeer                            10
Greater Yellowlegs             2
Lesser Yellowlegs              4
Semipalmated Sandpiper    2
Least Sandpiper                 1
Pectoral Sandpiper             6
Dunlin                                4

The highlight of this stop was undoubtedly the sight of two female Northern
Harriers quarterly the marsh in search of lunch.

We continued up to Killdeer Plains where things were very quiet except for
the eastern (shallow) half of the large pond on TH 68 where we found a
goodly concentration of waterfowl.

Trumpeter Swan                 1
Canada Goose              ~200
Wood Duck                        8
Green-winged Teal              4
Mallard                         ~100
Northern Pintail                 20
Blue-winged Teal                2

A lot of driving, but it was a beautiful day with some interesting birds.

Cheers,

Bob

--
Robert D Powell