OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2008

From:
Dan Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dan Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Oct 2008 10:10:42 -0700
Sorry for the late report, but I thought I should let every
Hello All,

Sorry for the late report, but I thought I should let everyone know that the banded Hudsonian Godwit was at the Big Island WA yesterday (Tuesday), at least during the earlier morning hours. I would also add that upon arriving at the parking area, I observed a Peregrine Falcon strafing that impoundment, but by the time I arrived at the impoundment, the shorebirds had all settled back down. The banded HUGO was actively feeding during the entire half hour or so of scoping the area. Other shorebird species there included about 6 Pectoral Sandpipers, 12 Least Sandpipers, 4 Lesser Yellowlegs, 3 Semi-palmated Plovers, and a Common Snipe.

Here are some specific directions to this impoundment: From the intersection of SR 95 and SR 203, drive West on SR 95, past the first parking area to the North, where the observation platform is located. Continue on West to the next parking area, also the N side of SR 95. From here, walk up onto the SE corner of the dike and walk West, along the top of this dike (with all the smartweed, the habitat in the interior of this impoundment might be good for Ammodramus sparrows). You will see a white building/pumphouse at the SW corner of this impoundment. Continue on past the pumphouse and catch-basin/impoundment on your right, and you will come to an open ditch. Turn N and follow the grass pathway, along the E side of this ditch, and you will come to a place where you can cross over the ditch. Continue W, over the ditch, to the next impoundment and then walk up onto the dike. This is the impoundment where HUGO has been hanging out and the viewing
 from here is excellent in the mornings, with the sun to your back. Best of luck!

Dan Sanders
Powell, OH