OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2008

Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 2008 13:59:03 EDT
If  you have procrastinated, but want to observe the five American White
Pelicans at  Hoover Reservoir, they were still present and very viewable from the
Area M  Boardwalk as of noon today (Wednesday). They were swimming in
formation and  putting on a great show.
Shorebirds  are present in moderate-to-low numbers on the mudflats off the
Area M Boardwalk,  Wiese Road, along the east shore near Pelican Island. They
are also present, but  in lower numbers, in the Twin Bridge area along the inlet
shores, and near the  Baldridge Launch Ramp (west side of Sunbury Road).
I  was out to police garbage as I checked to see if I had nest boxes down in
several niches, but as usual I spent much time enjoying the birds too. At
Oxbow Road I think I averaged four gallons of garbage for each species I
spotted, plus I met a new birder who was following the directions from the OOS  web
site to learn her way around the nature preserve. She was enjoying the birds
and the foliage as it is beginning to show color.
Some  of the species of interest this morning were:
Pied-billed  Grebe
American  White Pelican   - These 5 seem to be content to stay for  awhile
Double-crested  Cormorant
Great  Egret
Wood  Duck
Bald  Eagle    1 Immature
Broad-winged  Hawk
American  Coot
Semipalmated  Plover
Lesser  Yellowlegs
Marbled  Godwit   - Still hanging around the east  shore
Sanderling
Least  Sandpiper
Long-billed  Dowitcher
Red-headed  Woodpecker