OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2008

Date:
Fri, 10 Oct 2008 16:54:09 EDT
I went to Kiwanis Park and Twin Lakes, both parts of the "Preserves"
overseen by the Columbus Recreation and Parks Department, to clean and do
maintenance on the Prothonotary Warbler nest box trails at each. My "second  daughter"
Darlene who generally looks after these locations has lost her onetime  helpers
and due to recent surgical procedures on her ankle, would get in trouble
with me if she tried to work on the boxes, needed help and TLC. The storm did
major damage to both trails and approximately one half the boxes have been
destroyed. Hopefully the trails will recover faster than the 9th Ward in New
Orleans - they looked almost as bad.

Bird activity was slow at each, but there were some good finds. At Kiwanis
Park there was an Osprey that was doing better than a couple fishing from their
 boat. I also observed many Yellow-rumped Warblers, a few Common
Yellowthroats,  White-throated Sparrows and Swamp Sparrows. Then I went to Twin Lakes
where  there was a second Osprey. On the mudflats there were a few Lesser
Yellowlegs,  a Semipalmated Plover, a Spotted Sandpiper and many Killdeer. I headed to
 the back area where the nest boxes are located and ran into many
White-throated  Sparrows, a Pileated Woodpecker, a Barred Owl in the pine grove (I
instructed it to hang around for Darlene's Christmas Bird Count on January 3rd),  a
few Common Yellowthroats, 2 Magnolia Warblers and lots of Yellow-rumped
Warblers. Then I got my reward for doing the nest boxes - less than 15 feet from
me there was a bird sulking in some underbrush. It then hopped onto a bare
branch in open sunlight and sat there for a short time for my enjoyment - a
beautiful Mourning Warbler. It made me completely forget about my many
multi-flora rose puncture wounds.

Charlie Bombaci
Hoover Nature Preserve
& The Preserves

You  cannot begin to preserve any species of animal unless you preserve the
habitat  in which it dwells. Disturb or destroy that habitat and you will
exterminate the  species as surely as if you had shot it. So conservation means
that [we] have to  preserve forest and grassland, river and lake, even the sea
itself. This is  vital not only for the preservation of animal life generally,
but for the future  existence of man himself—a point that seems to escape many
people.
-Gerald  Durrell, The Nature Conservancy